Google-Translate-Chinese (Simplified) BETA Google-Translate-English to French Google-Translate-English to German Google-Translate-English to Italian Google-Translate-English to Japanese BETA Google-Translate-English to Korean BETA Google-Translate-English to Russian BETA Google-Translate-English to Spanish


Thursday, September 18, 2008

Female Tourist Violently Attacked By Room-Boy

minivan
A female tourist was hospitalised with head injuries and a broken rib after being severely assaulted by a room-boy on one of Maldives’ luxury resorts, it has been revealed.
The 45-year-old Russian woman was staying at Kuramathi Resort when the man entered her unlocked room and hit her from behind, before beating her so badly she has spent nine days in hospital.
“I heard someone come in. He came from behind. I suppose he hit me with a coconut. It was impossible to make such a blow otherwise,” she told Minivan News.
Police confirmed there was “a case” but refused to give any details, including the name of the resort.
The woman, who did not want to be named, said she had suffered blows to the head, face and right side of her body, including a broken rib.
The victim was brought to Malé’s private ADK Hospital on the evening of 9 September and has been there since, according to hospital managing director Mohamed Affal.
“She has a laceration and tissue damage to the face. She should be discharged maybe in the next few days, depending on her recovery,” he said. “It was presented as an assault case.”
The victim said the assault came a day after the perpetrator, an employee at the resort, invited her to eat coconuts with him, but she refused.
“He suggested to me to eat the coconuts. And I said I didn’t want to. I didn’t want to eat the coconuts,” she said, adding he had been “friendly but knew she was alone”.
At the time of the incident, she said the man had struck her head and she fell onto the floor. He then beat and kicked her, she said.
“I shouted out but I stayed in a separate house. Nobody could hear me…I remember only a knock on a door and hotel representatives took me to the medical centre immediately,” she said

Staff transported her to Malé by speedboat for hospital treatment after she had first received basic care at the island’s medical centre.
Originally due to fly back to Moscow the day after her attack, she will now leave the Maldives in a few days, with the date dependent on her recovery.
Saying she was in a “little pain” on Thursday, she added that her condition had improved since she was taken to hospital last week.
Police media co-ordinator Sergeant Shiyam confirmed that there was a case, but would give no further details.
“There is a case reported from a resort and we are investigating…that is all I can say,” he said.
There appears to be no motive for the attack. The woman said she did not blame the resort, and had received a great deal of assistance after the incident.
“I can’t understand the reason for this. This person was mad and you can’t predict them what mad people do…It’s a real surprise. You can’t expect these events. It is like when you head for the road and the snow falls from the roof,” she said.

Ibrahim Shimran, Universal travel department manager, confirmed the woman had been assaulted by a member of staff.
“I think her condition is good now. This has never happened before, It is very sad. What can I say?...She is expected to fly off within two or three days,” he said.
Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Tourism Salah said he was unaware of the incident.
Kuramathi Island Resort, a four-star destination in Ari atoll, is owned by local tourism giant Universal Enterprises.

No comments: